  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:38:13 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 22:54 -0500, Brian K. White wrote:
If I go to a client site, I shouldn't be able to configure a
printer so I can print things at the client site?

Perhaps, but in my experience (banking, airlines, IT) the client
site is unlikely to allow foreign equipment on their network.

The fact that some sites are secured from guests doesn't matter at
all.

Other sites are not only open to, but expressly exist for, guests.
And many sites of course have both a secure and a guest network and
it's a growing not a declining trend.

Our company provides a 'guest' wireless network so visitors can access
the outside world. They get no access to internal things from this
access point. But they need to configure their computers to make this
all happen.

Right, that's how some IBM sites used to work too (a while back when I
worked in that area).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.5°C)