Re: [opensuse] Commercial office suites for Linux?
On 03/05/2012 12:59 PM, Dennis Gallien wrote:
On Monday, March 05, 2012 03:49 PM John Andersen wrote:
On 3/5/2012 12:05 PM, upscope wrote:
C wrote:
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 15:58, Anton Aylward<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
People are using any number of combinations of MS Office and printer
drivers. Anything you create in MSO has a good chance of being borked
in any other random version of MSO. You will find the same level of
oops in LibreOffice.

Which is why, if I want to have control over the presentation of
anything I send out, I use PDF.

Use HybridPDF and you win :-)

Just FYI to anyone unaware of HybridPDFs... this embeds an ODF file in
the PDF. It looks like a regular PDF to anyone who opens it with
Acrobat Reader/Ocular etc, but if you open it with OOo/LibreOffice or
other HybridPDF capable office application, you get the original
embedded ODF file... which you can then edit/save/export as a new
HybridPDF.

This is a fully documented part of the PDF ISO standard.. not some wild
extra.

C.

If I'm not mistaken latest versions of LibreOffice allow you to save the
.odt as .pdf/.odt document.

Yes, he mentioned that, and it does work. You pretty much have to drag and
drop the pdf on LO, because its not normally set up to open PDF.

Its pretty cool, but unless you know its been saved that way there is no
way to tell other than try to open it.

My only complaint with LO is the obtuse places they have hidden some of the
functionality which makes it seem less capable than it is.

The Open File dialog box pull down has a PDF option in the list.

Yeah, but try that with a non HybridPDF and you usually get an pop-up
error box. Best case is it contrives to open it as a LO-Draw object
full of text boxes.

It would really be nice if you could filter the list of documents by
selecting only the HybridPDF documents. I suppose for the windows world
this might require an additional extension, but Linux should be able to
tell by inspection.

Copying text is a pain. Often printing and scanning it works better.

--
Explain again the part about rm -rf /