Re: [opensuse] Commercial office suites for Linux?
On 03/05/2012 05:05 AM, Mark Misulich wrote:
My best solution so far has been to install WinXx in VirtualBox, with
guest extensions so that I can use it full-screen. I use Office2000 and
Adobe 6 in that virtual machine without a hitch. Not exactly Linux, but
at least I am not selecting Windxxx in the Grub list of operating
systems. The WinXx disc I have wouldn't install in my computer after I
have upgraded the motherboard and cpu for the second or third time
anyways even after slipstreaming new drivers. Besides, WinXx and the
Office2000/Acrobat 6 is getting to be pretty old software. They do
install in VirtualBox without a hitch, and run fine.

Yup, I use Virtualbox with Win-XP for those work-related things
that won't ever be compatible by design too.

But you have to be very careful if you ever connect your vbox
guest to the Internet without making sure that Windows and
third-party applications are up-to-date with all the security
fixes. In particular, the Adobe products (Acroread, Flash, etc)
and Java have to be current or you'll be owned by the Chinese
or the Russian Mafia in no time. Further, you have to manually
remove old versions of Java, Acroread, etc. These old versions
are still vulnerable and can be leveraged by malware to take
over your system if they're still in the "Add /Remove Programs"
tab.

Regards,
Lew