Re: [opensuse] Commercial office suites for Linux?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:16:18 +0100
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 14:05, Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I do have Office 2000 installed with Wine, but it is a little flaky and
just isn't reliable enough for me.  I have tried crossover office in the
past and it wasn't much better than Wine.  Maybe it has improved by now.

Just popping back in to say... it has improved a lot. I haven't
tested Acrobat 6 (I don't own licenses for any Adobe products so can't
test them) but MSO is working very nicely (a few bugs still but they
are being worked out). Check out the upcoming Crossover 11.0
release.. won't cost anything other than a little time and any
feedback they get on usability with things like Acrobat will help.

My best solution so far has been to install WinXx in VirtualBox,

This is my preferred solution - it's only practical though if you've
got enough RAM. If you want to to run without draining your system
resources, you really need a minimum of 4GB RAM on the host... 8GB or
more is better.

guest extensions so that I can use it full-screen.

Or run it in seamless mode. Your MS Office install looks like it's
managed by your Linux window manager. Can be a bit heavy, but of
you've got enough computer behind it, it's fine.

C.