Re: [opensuse] Re: Ekiga config file?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:58:14 +0100
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:47, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ekiga hangs on to whatever is in there and doesn't release or update
itself if you manually change the contents.

No, Ekiga doesn't hang on to anything.  Ekiga uses the gconf *service*
for configuration - it gets and sets config via the gconfd session
daemon.  gconfd loads its databases when you start it an operates from
RAM flushing changes to its persistent database.  So you can't change
settings beneath it.  Use the gconf-tool and gconf-editor.

Uggh.. gconf-tool-2 is installed on my system... and it's unpleasant
to use to say the least. I haven't installed gconf-editor.

How do these line up with the fact that I simply wanted to "reuse" my
old settings from a previous install (I re-installed my openSUSE
system this past weekend, with a clean /home, copying over the
settings (from my backup) I wanted to reuse/retain). The
documentation here:
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Troubleshooting#I_reinstalled_Linux_and_I_want_to_import_back_.28migrate.29_my_configuration_settings._How.3F
didn't seem to work as indicated which is what prompted me to
question things. How can you use gconftool-2 to import old settings?

I suppose I could have copied over the old settings *before* I
launched Ekiga for the first time post-install, but... I didn't.

It's not a big deal.. just trying to understand how it works.. since
it's pretty much completely different than anything I usually use
(generally KDE apps, but I do use GTK apps as well).

C.