On 04/03/12 00:10, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Sofar I have been using "Lock" and "Screensaver[any]" interchangeably.
I don't care which one it is as long as (we have a security profile in
which) auto-lock/screen-saver:

1) is enabled by default with a reasonable timeout,
2) cannot be disabled
2) can only be disabled by root

What I am finding very hard to come to grips with is this need to not only be unable to disable the screensaver but also to have a root password when it is to be disabled.

Why is the screensaver such an important feature?

The only useful thing for which I have ever used a screensaver is to have the darn thing running when I wanted to impress someone visiting me to show off my monitor screen with some flashing or otherwise graphics - and no more.

The darn screensaver is using the cpu (and the gpu) to generate stuff on the monitor - and this is heating up the cpu which otherwise can sit quietly and resting.

In one moment of madness some years ago I installed a screensaver called The Aquarium - or some such. A screen-full of swimming fish in a salt water aquarium with a starfish moving (slowly) around the interior of the aquarium; and one also could configure it to emulate night and day. VERY pretty - especially to me as I had an aquarium when I was 9 years old (and when I grew up :-) ) and I enjoyed watching it.

But what I also noticed is that the temperature of the cpu went up by 10C while this screensaver was running. Having noticed this I uninstalled this screensaver.

But I digressed......

Could you perhaps give an example of why you consider that the screensaver is so important and why it would require a root password to disable it? All in the cause of educating me of course :-) .

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly
of the vulgar.