On 03/03/12 23:15, Per Jessen wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

2) always require
password when locked
This, also, is the default: lock the screen and you have to enter
your password to "un-blank" it.
I'll have to double check that - I'm sure it was not default (in KDE)
when I wrote that FATE entry.
Lock the screen; hit any key or move the mouse and enter your password
at the menu - and your desktop is once again displayed.

Been like this for years as far as I am concerned.

I HATE the screensaver - it is a PITA. It belongs to the dark ages,
and if I cannot disable it I would then be forced to switch over to
Windows.
In the business/corporate environment, in particular where personal
or otherwise confidential data is being processed, it's an absolute
must.
Again how so? The screen saver activates after a certain set period.
Yes, but the user has the option to disable it.

Yes, which is one of the first things I do when I do an install.

Also, in my experience,
the box "Password required" is not ticked by default, but that could
have changed.

I don't understand why a password would be required to disable the screensaver. It's "your", and nobody else's Desktop and what is on it so why should you have to use a password to disable the screensaver? After all you - the user and person who owns the /home/<user> - has access to the System Settings and you can do what you want (with exceptions) to the settings for your Desktop.

This is no protection for confidential data on the screen - what you
need for this is the Lock function which is activated at your chosen
time; that is, immediately you select to Lock and blank the screen.
And you don't even have to ask anyone to turn their backs to the
screen while you wait for the screen saver to kick in.
Maybe I am missing some significant difference between "lock" and
"activate screensaver"? Does KDE have different settings for lock and
screensaver?

Aren't you using KDE? If you are using Gnome then I think we could be talking apples and oranges here because I just don't remember what Gnome does.

But if you are using KDE then there is a difference between Lock and Screensaver.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly
of the vulgar.