  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 13:33:00 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:

Basil Chupin wrote:

2) always require
password when locked
This, also, is the default: lock the screen and you have to enter
your password to "un-blank" it.
I'll have to double check that - I'm sure it was not default (in
KDE) when I wrote that FATE entry.

Lock the screen; hit any key or move the mouse and enter your
password at the menu - and your desktop is once again displayed.

Been like this for years as far as I am concerned.

I HATE the screensaver - it is a PITA. It belongs to the dark ages,
and if I cannot disable it I would then be forced to switch over to
Windows.
In the business/corporate environment, in particular where personal
or otherwise confidential data is being processed, it's an absolute
must.

Again how so? The screen saver activates after a certain set period.

Yes, but the user has the option to disable it. Also, in my
experience, the box "Password required" is not ticked by default, but
that could have changed.

I have just created a new user on a 12.1 desktop system. The screen-
saver is active by default, but can be disabled by the user. Also,
the "require password" box is not ticked.

Configure Desktop -> Display and monitor -> Screensaver

If the user locks the screen, a password is required to unlock (by
default), so there _is_ a difference between "lock" and "activate
screen-saver".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.0°C)