On 03/03/12 19:32, Per Jessen wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

On 03/03/12 01:04, Per Jessen wrote:
Purely a tangent here, but at least security policy related - a while
ago, I created a FATE request suggesting we alter the default
settings in the GUI to 1) always enable to screen-saver,
This is already enabled on installation - and the first thing I do is
rid myself of this PITA because the screensaver keeps kicking in at
the most inappropriate times when, say, I am doing an update to the
system and I am about to respond to some input request.

Besides, this screensaver idea belongs to the 50s era when the screen
was likely to get a "burn in" which no longer applies and hasn't
applied for decades. How can you get a "burn in" on an LCD monitor?
It's obviously not about preventing burn-in. The name might belong in
the 50s, but the protection of information is needed today.

How so? see also below.

The power
saving feature is perhaps less topical today.

2) always require
password when locked
This, also, is the default: lock the screen and you have to enter your
password to "un-blank" it.
I'll have to double check that - I'm sure it was not default (in KDE)
when I wrote that FATE entry.

Lock the screen; hit any key or move the mouse and enter your password at the menu - and your desktop is once again displayed.

Been like this for years as far as I am concerned.

I HATE the screensaver - it is a PITA. It belongs to the dark ages,
and if I cannot disable it I would then be forced to switch over to
Windows.
In the business/corporate environment, in particular where personal or
otherwise confidential data is being processed, it's an absolute must.

Again how so? The screen saver activates after a certain set period. This is no protection for confidential data on the screen - what you need for this is the Lock function which is activated at your chosen time; that is, immediately you select to Lock and blank the screen. And you don't even have to ask anyone to turn their backs to the screen while you wait for the screen saver to kick in.

The other thing, of course, is that one has the ability to have as many Desktops/Workspaces as one wants to have so if you suddenly have someone come up to your desk and you don't want them to see what is on the screen you simply click on a Desktop (icon) which you know has nothing on it. This is even quicker than using Lock. And if you then have to leave your desk while on this blank Desktop then you do the Lock-the-Desktop tango :-) .

Anyway, it's just a feature that we should set depending on the security
level chosen at installation time.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly
of the vulgar.