  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 09:32:56 +0100
Basil Chupin wrote:

On 03/03/12 01:04, Per Jessen wrote:

Purely a tangent here, but at least security policy related - a while
ago, I created a FATE request suggesting we alter the default
settings in the GUI to 1) always enable to screen-saver,

This is already enabled on installation - and the first thing I do is
rid myself of this PITA because the screensaver keeps kicking in at
the most inappropriate times when, say, I am doing an update to the
system and I am about to respond to some input request.

Besides, this screensaver idea belongs to the 50s era when the screen
was likely to get a "burn in" which no longer applies and hasn't
applied for decades. How can you get a "burn in" on an LCD monitor?

It's obviously not about preventing burn-in. The name might belong in
the 50s, but the protection of information is needed today. The power
saving feature is perhaps less topical today.

2) always require
password when locked

This, also, is the default: lock the screen and you have to enter your
password to "un-blank" it.

I'll have to double check that - I'm sure it was not default (in KDE)
when I wrote that FATE entry.

I HATE the screensaver - it is a PITA. It belongs to the dark ages,
and if I cannot disable it I would then be forced to switch over to
Windows.

In the business/corporate environment, in particular where personal or
otherwise confidential data is being processed, it's an absolute must.

Anyway, it's just a feature that we should set depending on the security
level chosen at installation time.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.8°C)