There's been a huge amount of discussion in this thread about many
different use cases. But I don't think requirements analysis is really
the difficult bit. I think Werner's right.

Does anybody have any concrete suggestion for how the system should
behave? (Or better yet, some code to implement it! :)

(a) What options should there be at install time? (and as a minor
subquestion, what should be the default?)

(b) What facilities should the be as an administrator? (For each
possibility in (a))

What facilities should be available while logged in as a normal user,
within each environment set by (a) and (b)?

Cheers, Dave