On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:55:58AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
Johannes Meixner wrote:
Not in the corporate world. Business employees generally
do not get root or admin access to their computers.

Either I do not understand what you write or you do not
understand what I wrote.

I wrote "own machine" with the meaning of "owner"
not with the meaning of "who works on it".

I guess you're missing the theme of the thread. "Own machine" is not
the issue, where this barely qualifies as annoying. My comments,
along with Linus and others is for systems that are used by those who
do not have the root password. This could be Linus's kids or
employees of a company. Both have legitimate reasons for using WiFi
or printers at various locations and are prevented from doing so in
openSUSE 12.1. I mentioned a project I'm working on for an insurance
company. If I had 12.1 and no root password, I could not have used
the WiFi at hotels I've stayed at nor could I connect to local
printers, as I need to, in order to do my work. There is absolutely
no excuse for this level of stupidity or arrogance on the part of the
openSUSE developers. It is flat out wrong!

OpenSUSE is a community project and you're welcome as a member to
find and/or provide a manageable and secure solution for both a one
user or shared users systems as well as for real multi user systems.

Werner