[opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 09:55:36 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:01:32 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

The discussiion is not about arbitrary people. It's about existing
users which must not have root access.

Users which must not have root access must not be allowed to change the
print queues.

Surely that's a decision for the owner of the machine (whether an
individual or a corporation) to make.

Say, for example, I work for a consulting organisation, and their IT
department decides the consultants shouldn't have root access to their
machines.

If I go to a client site, I shouldn't be able to configure a printer so I
can print things at the client site?

That seems unreasonable.

The control should be put in the hands of whomever owns the machine, as
they know what the use cases are for the machine.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson