Re: [opensuse] emacs woes
On 02/29/2012 09:46 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
I saw a posting on this group recently saying that xemacs is about to be
dropped, so decided I better start training my fingers to use emacs
instead. Am running openSuSE 11.4 x86_64 and tried to fire off emacs and
it barfed -

emacs vsftpd.conf &
[1] 22024
bigbang:/srv/ftp # GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server;

Are you running Emacs as root and did a simple "su" and not a "su -"? That gives a different environment and might explain the issue.

Does running emacs as normal user work fine - and does it work with "su -"?

Andreas