[opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:48:46 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:33:29 -0500, James Knott wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:
What I'm saying is that different people have different requirements
based on what their use case is for the software. Some people need
restrictive policies because they're in higher security environments.

Not to put too fine a point on it, James, but this is complete
nonsense.
You're assuming that in the "real world" everyone has the exact same
requirements for security. That is demonstrably not true.

As I have I said several times, it should be optional, at the dicretion
of the admin or employer. However, that does not seem to be possible at
the moment and that's what all the fuss is about.

Then it seems that we actually are in 'violent agreement' on the issue. :)

The developers
decided they knew better than the users about what security is required
to the point that it is currently useless in many business
environements.

Agreed.

As I mentioned, I would not be able to do my work for
that insurance company, if I'd been handed openSUSE 12.1

Indeed, many companies would have an issue with the settings currently in
use.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson