James Knott wrote:
Jim Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 14:27:17 -0500, James Knott wrote:

Business employees generally do not get root or admin access to their
computers.
Arguably, working around that is trivial regardless of the OS. There
really is no security when the user has physical control of the device,
regardless of the OS.

With Linux, give anyone a grub menu and nothing else, and it's trivial to
get to a root prompt and change the root password.

Jim

I guess you've never worked in a corporate environment, where employees can be disiplined for violating IT policy. If you "work around" something like a root or admin password, then you're inviting disiplinary action. In general, corporate employees do not get root or admin password and for good reason.

Once, in a corporate environment, I re-partitioned the "corporate" Windows box and installed Caldera Linux on the other partition so I could actually "use" the box.
I think that linux may /still/ be on that box unbeknownst to the IT guy.
;-)

--
Tony Alfrey
tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx