  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:10:00 +0100
On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 08:35 -0500, James Knott wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Do you mean in YaST where you say you want it to be managed by ifup or
by the user? Isn't that selectable when the OS in initially installed?
If the installer person selects that it is to be controlled by the user,
then that is that.

The KDE network manager requires root password to configure a WiFi
conntection. This means that when I try to use a new WiFi access point,
I have to create the connection with the root password. On my own
computer, this is not an issue, as I know the root password. In a
corporate environment, it's a killer.

I have to check this at home tonight. Perhaps I whip out the root
password without thinking. (Great security, that). But my feeling is
that root access is only needed to set a new wireless interface (the
bits in the laptop) to be ifup or user managed. After that, if user
access was selected, the interface can connect to new access points
under user control. Hmm.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST