  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 14:29:35 +0100
On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 07:59 -0500, James Knott wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
How does it solve the problem if an employer doesn't want to give
employees root access, but expects them you be able to use WiFi?
Hmm. I use WiFi in three offices, hotels, home, and wherever. On KDE I
set it up via network manager. I am never root for that. Same with wired
connections. I think the problem is that network manager seems to have
gone through a bad stretch where it could, in some updates, stop
working. That, for wifi on openSUSE, is the issue. I do not know if the
gnome equivalent has had such a seemingly turbulent recent history.

In 12.1, you need root password to initially configure a WiFi
connection. Once that's done, you can use it without root password.
Earlier versions did not require root password to establish a connection.

Do you mean in YaST where you say you want it to be managed by ifup or
by the user? Isn't that selectable when the OS in initially installed?
If the installer person selects that it is to be controlled by the user,
then that is that.

We do our installs from OEM images we create with KIWI. There we have
set the defaults so the installer person does not even have to get it
right. But in the standard openSUSE installer, I really think this is
available. I may be wrong.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST