Re: [opensuse] systemd pam entry missing in /etc/pam.d/xdm
  • From: Javier Conti <javier.conti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 02:08:14 +0100
On 29 December 2011 00:47, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Javier Conti <javier.conti@xxxxxxxxx> [12-28-11 18:03]:
On 28 December 2011 21:32, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-27-11 11:29]:

I *can* mount removable media via pmount utility.

I never used the pmount utility, but are you sure it's not a suid binary?

it requires granted root permission  :^)
 /etc/pmount.conf

I have a laptop which does not have the added line in /etc/pam.d/xdm which
functions as expected, automagically mounts removable media.

Maybe memory is failing me here, wouldn't be the first time.  But I can no
longer, if ever, automagically mount removable media on the laptop.

I don't use the automount feature either (I'm paranoid, I know), but just for
information, I've always been able to mount removable media in 12.1 without
problems, even before adding the pam_systemd module as described in the
original post. Probably your problem lays somewhere else.

I do and have and am able to manually mount removable and static devices
just as I have been able to since ?? 5.0 in SuSE and previous that in
Marmaduke.  I appreciate the automatic mounting and miss it in 12.1.

Ok. I assumed that you were not able to mount devices from the
"Device Notifier" widget as a normal user too. I now enabled the
automounting feature on that widget and can confirm it works fine.
I plugged a USB HD and inserted a data CD: both were automounted.

Although I never really digged into that, it seems to me that in the process
of mounting (and automounting) removable media systemd is not
involved. What I see from a quick glance at the logs is udev and dbus are
involved instead.

However, mounting the CD showed that:

udevd[4125]: starting '/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess /dev/sr0 '

IMHO, that could explain why for Adam CDs and DVDs didn't work,
although HDs did. I don't know why they are treated differently

I'd like to know, just for information, if putting the pam_systemd entry
helped Adam mounting CDs and DVDs...

Regs, Javier

note that all devices listed in /etc/fstab do mount correctly including
removable and networked devices.

I suppose someone will blame it on systemd   :^)
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2