Re: [opensuse] systemd pam entry missing in /etc/pam.d/xdm
* Javier Conti <javier.conti@xxxxxxxxx> [12-27-11 11:08]:
I've been struggling lately trying to download pictures fro my camera
with digikam after updating to openSUSE 12.1.

I, too, upgraded from 11.4 -> MS... -> RC.. -> GM
and have no automagic mounting of removable media, which I had in 11.4.

Could not mount ....
An unspecified error has occurred.: Authentication is required

note: user id is same on 12.1 as was on 11.4

The problem was that I had no permisisons to write to the special file
created by udev (in my case /dev/bus/usb/003/*).

A bit of troubleshooting led to systemd-uaccess not being able to
determine who was on seat0 (the user owning the session).

The file "/run/systemd/seats/seat0" contained:

$ cat /run/systemd/seats/seat0
# This is private data. Do not parse.
IS_VTCONSOLE=1

$ cat /run/systemd/seats/seat0
# This is private data. Do not parse.
IS_VTCONSOLE=1
ACTIVE=1474
ACTIVE_UID=1000
SESSIONS=1 1474
UIDS=0 1000

After putting the "session required pam_systemd.so
kill-session-processes=1" in "/etc/pam.d/xdm", and restart the
session, the seats file looked like this:

$ cat /run/systemd/seats/seat0
# This is private data. Do not parse.
IS_VTCONSOLE=1
ACTIVE=84
ACTIVE_UID=1000
SESSIONS=84
UIDS=1000

$ cat /etc/pam.d/xdm
#%PAM-1.0
auth include common-auth
account include common-account
password include common-password
session required pam_loginuid.so
session include common-session

Now systemd is able to determine who is owning the session and
plugging the camera in just works flawlessly.

I don't know if the module wasn't configure on my system for some
reason, but since I didn't touch pam stuff since upgrading to 12.1, it
seems a bug to me.

Anyone else lacking this pam entry by default?

Yes, but adding the line to /etc/pam.d/xdm has made no difference for me.

PS: my "/etc/pam.d/xdm" file looks like this now:

$ cat /etc/pam.d/xdm
#%PAM-1.0
auth include common-auth
account include common-account
password include common-password
session required pam_loginuid.so
session required pam_systemd.so kill-session-processes=1
session include common-session

I *can* mount removable media via pmount utility.

I have a laptop which does not have the added line in /etc/pam.d/xdm which
functions as expected, automagically mounts removable media.