Re: [opensuse] Re: starting the virtualbox virtual machines automatically
jdd said the following on 12/27/2011 04:36 AM:
Le 27/12/2011 03:29, Anton Aylward a écrit :

These days with Big Disks the solution is to create a LVM partition that
is a staging area and restore into that.

?

You were talking about the problems with RESTORE.
So was I.
On the new system, have a partition that the old "etc/" is restored into
rather than overwriting the /etc on the newly installed system.

That's why you want relative backups not ones with absolute locations.

if disk fail, all the lvm is lost.

stumbling over on 12.1 I have working fine on this F-16 (soon to be
F-16)) so I can learn how it is supposed to work on a system that does
work, rather than battle a system (12.1) that doesn't work.

well... I know nothing about fedora...

Neither did I before I decided to install it to learn about how SystemD
should work.

In the mean time I can decompress with a working fine 11.4 system on my
2005 vintage Compaq desktop-replacement laptop.

you know, the server I build is there to replace a celeron year 2000
server with 128Mb (mega bytes!) ram and 15Gb HDD that I have to stop
because my provider do not want it anymore (it still works :-).

Yup. I have one of those that I use to support my monitor and raise it
to eye level :-) It runs IPCop, and very nicely thank you!

You could have upgraded to 11.4. That would have been smoother, less
traumatic. The 11.4 works well and runs the latest kde :-)

I know that, but rignt now my server is not in production, so I can
work on it easily, I don't want to do this again in one year

It all comes down to this: do you need a working system with no
complication RIGHT NOW? If the answer to that is "yes" then 11.4 is
_an_ answer and 12.1 is _not_. But then again, using something other
than openSuse is also _an_ answer.

I'm not claiming fedora is perfect, but they did pioneer SystemD and one
-15 it works well and has none of the complications and has proven
valuable for learning how SystemD was meant to work. I do prefer
openSuse and will be glad when 12.2 or 12.3 arrives :-) But I'm in no
hurry to use 12.1 on a production system.
--
Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals.