Re: [opensuse] Re: starting the virtualbox virtual machines automatically
On 12/26/2011 8:16 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
jdd said the following on 12/26/2011 06:57 AM:

I feel very bad writing anything myself in /lib! (let alone for backup
purpose).

But I see a "/etc/systemd/system" folder.

And?
How come you feel bad about putting something in /lib (or presumably
/bin) and not in /etc?

How about /usr/lib or /usr/bin?

If its supposed to go in /lib then its supposed to go in /lib because
that's where the software (systemd) will look for it.

My point here is really that yes, if you don't know what you're doing
than doing things as root can screw up your system, but you can screw it
up just as well by putting an init function in /etc/systemd/ as in
/lib/system. Or for that matter under SysVInit putting it in
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d.

Don't listen jdd. Your point was perfectly clear to normal people and your guess was correct.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#How_do_I_make_a_custom_unit_file.3F

And here I thought _I_ was an ass.

And contrary to his later post, configs _that matter_ are not "all over the place". They are in very few and well known places, and most everything that isn't either in /etc or /home are dynamically generated from, or reading, something that IS.

And those few things that qualify as host-specific manual (won't happen automatically) configuration that may exist outside of /etc or /home on a poorly managed system, do not justify abandoning the best practices that always strive towards sane organization.

/srv is content not config. You already know to back up all data dirs, and rpm already knows not to overwrite anything in data dirs.

/usr/share may have hand-installed stuff, but if so that's just sloppy thoughtless administration, or evidence of a package that needs improvement so that it will install it's own things in /usr/share but also look in /usr/local, /home, etc for user-supplied stuff.

--
bkw