Re: [opensuse] Documentation - SDB and Wiki (was [SOLVED] "Undefined mode 348")
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 05:53:10 -0600
Because everybody expects that someone else takes boring task of writing
I find SDB much less user-friendly than before.
For example earlier SDB had a page when all the titles of
the published SDB articles were listed in chronological
order. It was easier to find a specific article by browsing
that page than searching with the 'search sdb' option now.
So it would be very good to make available all the published
SDB articles (the titles only of course with links to the articles)
on one page again, including _all_ articles in chronological order,
no matter how old they are.

Not imposible, I did some kind of index in now old wiki, as a
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Portal
but as stated above, everybody expects that someone else will take the time
and create that index.

There is no others. Others that created and maintained that old S.u.S.E.
database either don't work for SUSE, or work in completely different areas.
We, users are left alone and have to take care of documents that we need, from
creating those that we need, maintaining them (fixing errors and updating with
new development), to taking care that we can find them when we need them.

On a side note, time based sort is only one of many that can be applied. Some
readers will rememeber few words from the title, so they will need search, or
sort by keywords. Keywords and key phrases can be listed in a wiki article in
in a [[Category:<keyword>]], and later you can create browsing trees that will
give you article in a few steps. But, someone has to make them. There is no
others, it is you, me, or anybody with login that has to take time and fix
little bit of this, little bit of that, and one day there will be, surprise,
good wiki, like wikipedia.

Anybody that has login for forums, bugzilla, build service, or any other site
in opensuse.org domain, can log in with that into wiki and ork on it.
Although, it is better to read a bit first:
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Wiki
as it will save some time. Also, don't take too much time to understand all
details that are written, but rather be flexible and ready to take advice from
those that spent and still spending a lot of their free time maintaining wiki.

We have some nice tools in a new wiki, like CategoryTree that can list, as the
name tells, wiki categories in a tree layout, but also it can list categories
and pages, or only pages in some category. There is also many other tools,
some with similar scope, some for different purpose, that make wiki editing
much easier then in the old wiki.

Istvan
--
Regards, Rajko