Re: [opensuse] Media Center idea/help!
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 23:45:42 Rodney Baker wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:26:01 John Andersen wrote:
On 12/22/2011 1:45 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

Couple of questions. First, does anybody know what file access
protocol is

used by TV's etc to access media files on networked computers similar
to Samsung's "All-share" on windows? I'm sure it's something related
to smb, but haven't tcpdumped it yet to dissect it. I have an old box
that is currently dual boot that I have connected to the TV via a
wireless link. In win, the TV can browse the pc just fine with the
help of the win application "all-share". I would like to get the TV to
access the opensuse side of the box. Any ideas what's involved?

Are you talking about DLNA David?
http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/how_it_works/

This is being baked into lots of TVs (targets), and DVD Players, BluRay
(sources), Windows, Android (sources as well as targets).

Yes, DLNA - my new Panasonic TV and Blu-Ray/DVD player have it. MediaTomb
speaks DLNA (or rather, the TV happily speaks to MediaTomb running on my oS
11.4 box and on my PopcornHour A-110 media box, which is almost redundant
now).

The only problem is that MediaTomb's default way of presenting folders and
files is ugly. Although it parses nested folders, it presents them in a
flat arrangement, destroying any hierarchy that may have existed in the
original directory structure (note - it doesn't actually alter the
structure, it's just the way it presents the data). No doubt, since I'm
pretty sure it uses xml to define its schema, it should be possible to fix
with a bit of hacking, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to
learn how to do that right now. So, I'll put up with it. At least my TV
can stream media (at least in the formats it supports, which is somewhat
limited) from my oS "server".

I was right. See http://mediatomb.cc/pages/scripting for more details on
customization. Thanks, google. ;-)