Re: [opensuse] Media Center idea/help!
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 08:26:01 John Andersen wrote:
On 12/22/2011 1:45 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

Couple of questions. First, does anybody know what file access protocol
is

used by TV's etc to access media files on networked computers similar to
Samsung's "All-share" on windows? I'm sure it's something related to smb,
but haven't tcpdumped it yet to dissect it. I have an old box that is
currently dual boot that I have connected to the TV via a wireless link.
In win, the TV can browse the pc just fine with the help of the win
application "all-share". I would like to get the TV to access the
opensuse side of the box. Any ideas what's involved?

Are you talking about DLNA David?
http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/how_it_works/

This is being baked into lots of TVs (targets), and DVD Players, BluRay
(sources), Windows, Android (sources as well as targets).

Yes, DLNA - my new Panasonic TV and Blu-Ray/DVD player have it. MediaTomb
speaks DLNA (or rather, the TV happily speaks to MediaTomb running on my oS
11.4 box and on my PopcornHour A-110 media box, which is almost redundant
now).

The only problem is that MediaTomb's default way of presenting folders and
files is ugly. Although it parses nested folders, it presents them in a flat
arrangement, destroying any hierarchy that may have existed in the original
directory structure (note - it doesn't actually alter the structure, it's just
the way it presents the data). No doubt, since I'm pretty sure it uses xml to
define its schema, it should be possible to fix with a bit of hacking, but I
have neither the time nor the inclination to learn how to do that right now.
So, I'll put up with it. At least my TV can stream media (at least in the
formats it supports, which is somewhat limited) from my oS "server".