Re: [opensuse] [SOLVED] "Undefined mode 348"
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:36:05AM +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
[ 8< ]
You may have a point there, Lars.

openSUSE started of as SuSE way back in 1994.

Ubuntu first appeared only end of 2004.

Ubuntu has the Launchpad. openSUSE doesn't have anything like it. It
did have, years ago, the Support Database. Where is it now?

The content of the Support Database got migrated to the wiki.

"a sucking lame community" you say? The question then comes up: Why?

Some might be caused by the history of SUSE. People had not been used
to contribute. Instead they had been used to buy a set of CDs/ DVD and
used them to install SUSE systems. But they've not been part of the
development.

This changed heavily over the last six up to eight years. The
ubiquitous avaialability of boradband IP network connectivity is one,
maybe the main reason I believe. Also Ubuntu - the 95% (very likely
even more) Debian clone with not this much development contribution to
the Open Source Software community but a very well working merketing
department - might be a reason.

Also to my feeling many people on this list complain loudly while they
requedt from others to do something. Many waste a lot of energy in
never ending threads instead of reading the available documentation and
to work with others on enhancing stuff and contributing. Contribution
is possible ony many, many levels.

On the other hand many people contribute a lot. Therefore my sentences
above might sound much to much negative.

Please keep in mind I've added a ";)" to the sucking lame community
statement. The main goal was to motivate people to have a look into the
mirror and ask themself: How much have I given back to the project?
What am I able to give to the project?

Thanks.

Lars
--