[opensuse] Re: Dell Laptop Functionality
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:06:35 +0000 (UTC)
Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just recently got a Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop, and virtually
everything worked out of the box. Certainly everything important
(had to apply a kernel patch to fix an issue with the touchpad being
recognized incorrectly as a PS/2 mouse - known issue and a fix is in
the works).

So I'm getting to more esoteric things in the system configuration.
I'm using GNOME3 as my DE and it's on 12.1.

1. Bluetooth - the host name shows the original "linux-xqoa.site"
name rather than the current hostname. Anyone know where this comes
from?

2. Dell includes a utility with Windows 7 to disable the battery
charging circuit. The point of this is to stop trickle charging the
battery when it's full - pulling the battery out leaves the laptop
without battery backup and isn't the ultimate goal. The goal is to
charge the battery and then switch off that circuit, which is
supposed to extend the life of the battery itself (that's what the
info I've read indicates the purpose is).

On Windows it's implemented using WMI as near as I can tell. I see
in the kernel drivers (dell-wmi.c specifically) that on some models
there's a key - Fn-F2 or Fn-F3, I think - that is supposed to do
something, but this model laptop doesn't have that particular key
assignment.

I can hibernate and go into the BIOS to disable the charging circuit,
but that's somewhat inconvenient as if I switch to battery, I then
have to hibernate, go to the BIOS, and re-enable the charging
circuitry to actually charge the battery when it needs it.

Anyone have any ideas on either of these issues?

Jim

Hi Jim
I just picked up a Latitude E5510 system this has the key mentioned and
ability to disable charging when AC power is available. Have a look at
this Ub* bug from Mark Shuttleworth, it's a long running one but
comment #47 indicates Dell are working on it.....

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.0-1.2-desktop
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU