Re: [opensuse] English locution correction (was Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
On 12/20/2011 8:12 PM, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Tuesday 20 December 2011 16:52:43 John Andersen wrote:
On 12/20/2011 4:50 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 12/20/2011 6:46 PM, John Andersen wrote:
The entire issue revolves around a largely archaic use of the word "beg",
which is used almost NOWHERE in English today or for the past hundred
years other than in this SINGLE phrase "beg the question".

I beg to differ!

Well played sir.

But that's hardly a largely archaic use of the word "beg".

Actually you have it backwards, John. The "beg" in "beg to differ" is archaic,
while the beg in "beg the question" is the standard one. It is a translation
of the latin petitio principii, where petitio is the latin word for petition
or beg.

Anders

I must admit I was NOT being that clever with that particular use of the word beg. I did not know this petition angle.

*sigh* surprised the topic nazi's haven't told us to stop talking about things they don't find interesting yet.

--
bkw