Re: [opensuse] English locution correction (was Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 05:32 PM Brian K. White wrote:
On 12/19/2011 6:26 PM, Thomas Taylor wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:52:53 -0500
Dennis Gallien<dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<<<<< snip>>>>>

To the non-native English speakers fearing this horrible spreading
locution expidemic - and the correction was indubatably accurate -
click on the link and as you will see, help is on the way. :)

expidemic ???? Did you mean epidemic?

<<<<< snip>>>>>

Tom

A typo is forgivable in a transient communication, and is an entirely
different class of issue from ignorance of and misuse of a language.

Indubitably there was also a spelling error which in my opinion falls
somewhere between the utter insignificance of a typo (in a non-critical
part of a non-critical, transient, communication) and the valuable (in
that it caused me to become more educated) misuse of a common phrase.

Hyperparentheticity is my own disease of the grammar gland.

That is not a disease of the grammer gland, but rather one of the lexicology
node system. Actually, since it is not a recognized word, if falls into the
specific node that I have dubbed "creative lexicology", which I define as
"imaginatively and entertainingly making up a previously unheard word from
other words, on the fly."

The imaginative element is in the spontaneous invention of the word. The
entertaining element is in how it makes my English-teacher spouse climb the
wall.