Re: [opensuse] nVidia module types
  • From: cheperobert <jrobertoalas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:46:14 -0600
2011/12/20 Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>:
On Tuesday 20 December 2011 14:54:16 James Knott wrote:
OK.  My main system has both kernel-deskop and nvidea-gfxG02-kmp-desktop
loaded, which is fine since it's a single CPU 64 bit system.  However,
my notebook has a dual core hyper-threaded CPU, but also has
kernel-desktop.  I suppose I should change it to default, which supports
multiple CPUs.  My Netfinity server has two separate CPUs and it has the
default kernel.

kernel-desktop also supports multiple CPUs. The main difference between -
desktop and -default is the frequency of the kernel (HZ). In the -desktop
kernel it is 1000, which is supposed to give you a better desktop performance
with lower latency for events like mouse clicks, while the -default kernel has
250 which is meant to give you better I/O throughput and in general better
performance for longer running processes

Where is the documentation that explains the different types of kernel openSUSE

Anders

Saludos,
cheperobert