Re: [opensuse] nVidia module types
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:25:27 +0100
On Tuesday 20 December 2011 14:54:16 James Knott wrote:
OK. My main system has both kernel-deskop and nvidea-gfxG02-kmp-desktop
loaded, which is fine since it's a single CPU 64 bit system. However,
my notebook has a dual core hyper-threaded CPU, but also has
kernel-desktop. I suppose I should change it to default, which supports
multiple CPUs. My Netfinity server has two separate CPUs and it has the
default kernel.

kernel-desktop also supports multiple CPUs. The main difference between -
desktop and -default is the frequency of the kernel (HZ). In the -desktop
kernel it is 1000, which is supposed to give you a better desktop performance
with lower latency for events like mouse clicks, while the -default kernel has
250 which is meant to give you better I/O throughput and in general better
performance for longer running processes

Anders