Re: [opensuse] thunderbird reinstall on 12.1
Il 19/12/2011 22:10, George OLson ha scritto:

Howdy again,

I just made a new install of 12.1 from the dvd. I was previously using
11.4. I was already using KDE 4.7.2, and so I am still using it.

There was a bit of a mix up on my home directory, and the install disk
installed the new KDE in a different directory because of my username
change. But I switch back to my old KDE directory, which was located in
/home/george by modifying the /etc/passwd file to point to that
directory instead of the separate installation. By doing this, I was able
to get back most of my KDE settings.

However, when I try to start thunderbird from a panel, I get the
following error:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder
file:///usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop does not exist.

I have 11.4 installed on partition sda5 and 12.1 installed on sda6. When
I boot
up in 11.4, I have no problem running thunderbird.

I understand that the /usr/share/applications is in my root directory, so
that is why thunderbird will run in 11.4 and not in 12.1. However, I am
wondering how to setup thunderbird in 12.1 now, and not lose all the
settings that I had for it before?

Thanks
.

If I'm not understanding wrong, you should have two ways to use Thunderbird:

1) start from scratch by installing it on the 12.1 partition

2) re-use your 11.4 Thunderbird main settings and profiles by copy/paste
all the necessary folders/files from sda5 to sda6 by respecting related
file ownership.

Good Luck!

--
Marco Calistri (amdturion)
opensuse 12.1 (Aspargus) - Kernel 3.1.0-1.2-desktop x86_64 Gnome 3.2.1