Re: [opensuse] Systemd and fstab
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:15:59 +0100
Brian K. White wrote:

On 12/16/2011 12:12 PM, Per Jessen wrote:

Hypothetically, if you had seen that 12.1 was being delayed due to
insufficient testing of fetchmail (without defining what
"insufficient" means in this context), might you have been inclined
to run some of
defined fetchmail tests? (defined = previously documented tests).

Maybe the status of pending releases and the current todo list can be
made more visible? Something right on the main home page and on every
download page? Like the countdown thingie but more informative than a
simple date, and more prominent or somehow enticing.

I think that would a be great step forward, but to start with, we need a
way of measuring <something> to have <something> to display.

A phrase that applies here is "Make it easy for them to get it right."

Right.

If you want more people to put in effort testing things, you have to
smooth the way to get to the actual testing and reporting as much as
possible, starting with making it harder to ignore or avoid that
testing is even needed and that the product will suffer unless "you"
help, and make sure even the casual glancer can tell that there are
things even lowly they can help with. Also a roster of involved people
with stats, number of involved projects or bugs etc, where people can
see their name up in lights.

Thanks for reading between my lines, that is exactly what I was hinting
at.

Some kind of simple single graphic that expresses the overall state,
like how much % green vs yellow & red, or how high the thermometer
like fund raisers always use. In this case I think something that
grows toward 100% complete is less compelling than something that gets
smaller to show the remaining problems going away. That should better
inspire people to decide to bother to help get rid of that last little
thing if that's all that's left. Then when you click on it you get a
more expanded view of the current state, but still not the
overwhelming full everything details, still somewhat of a summary of
categories of problems. Maybe tag different problems or todo items by
estimated difficulty or required skill level too.

Project members could even indicate their skills/experience/interest in
their respective profiles, and have suggestions of work/testing to be
done made based on those.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.2°C)