Re: [opensuse] Systemd and fstab
Brian K. White said the following on 12/15/2011 08:48 PM:
If you are only trying to debug the immediate situation then ok.
As in, if you're just trying to nail down what the automatic process
actually did when it came time to do it.

Yes; and much of that is now off-list.

I thought you were suggesting that it's acceptable to expect that config
files have nics defined in them for a client to reach a service. That
would be unreasonable. For offering services that's different. But a
client should not have to know what nic is required to reach a service
other than maybe a dhcp client.

In the general, I agree, but not - NEVER - where specifics define it.
Many v-for-verySMB and home networks are pretty trivial and strapping
them down can avoid other hassles. Such trivial systems don't need
their own DHCP or their own DNS server. I imagine most single-machine
home system are like that. They simply don't warrant the complexity.
Having a defined chain where things absolutely HAVE to be in the set
ordering makes phone debugging a lot easier when you're dealing with
people who can't tell the difference between a d CD drive and a coffee
cup holder.

--
"With more success, comes greater problems along with greater ability to
solve them."