Re: [opensuse] Systemd and fstab
On 12/15/2011 8:23 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
Brian K. White said the following on 12/15/2011 08:06 PM:
The sysadmin, the guy who configured the system, knows which network
segment the NFS server is on and which Ethernet port connects to that
network segment, so he (or she) can configure the specific mount unit
files for SystemD. This knowledge is "external to the system" and part
of the human-level design.

No he does not at all except in the most simple and static situations.
Not any more than you should have to know at boot time, or any other
time, what nic will be needed to reach an ftp or ntp or http or smtp or
any other kind of service.

What I'm saying is that the nfs server is on a network segment and that
network segment is connected to one ethernet port.

I'm saying that about the situation Christoph is in, not about every
possible case that could exist.

I'm saying that Christoph has the knowledge of what the wiring of his
network is. I'm not saying that he knows of every possible
configuration that it could be, only that he knows what it *IS*.

And I'm asking 'why are there those other, apparently dead, ethernet ports?'

I'm saying this because I'm trying to solve Christoph's problem, not do
a general solution for an abstract situation.

If you are only trying to debug the immediate situation then ok.
As in, if you're just trying to nail down what the automatic process actually did when it came time to do it.

I thought you were suggesting that it's acceptable to expect that config files have nics defined in them for a client to reach a service. That would be unreasonable. For offering services that's different. But a client should not have to know what nic is required to reach a service other than maybe a dhcp client.

--
bkw