Re: [opensuse] Any problems with installing 12.1 on RAID ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 01:23:22 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2011-12-15 at 19:07 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:

Carlos E. R. said the following on 12/15/2011 06:44 PM:

It goes to /var/log/messages, intentionally not to /var/log/boot.msg

(I know because I reported a bug on that)

Ah.
Help me here.
I seem to recall that the internal message buffer DURING boot gets
written out somewhere.

Yes, with traditional systemv it was dumped to /var/log/boot.msg somehow, from memory.

My concern is that the /var file system may bot
be mounted during boot :-/

True, and root is mounted read only at start, so that fsck can be done on it. But they do it, somehow. Systemd is a mystery to me. And policy kit, and udev and...

Try editing /etc/systemd/system.conf to turn it on :-)

What do you mean?

Well, like what are the entries you have at the moment?
Is there something like

Default.

LogLevel=info

in there?

Let me see...

[Manager]
#LogLevel=info
#LogTarget=syslog-or-kmsg
#LogColor=yes
#LogLocation=no
#DumpCore=yes
#CrashShell=no
#ShowStatus=yes
#SysVConsole=yes
#CrashChVT=1
#CPUAffinity=1 2
#MountAuto=yes
#SwapAuto=yes
#DefaultControllers=cpu
#DefaultStandardOutput=syslog
#DefaultStandardError=inherit
#JoinControllers=cpu,cpuacct

All commented out, and no documentation comments, as other classical configuration files .

What does that "LogLevel=info" do when activated?

When I report a bug and they want of me a verbose log, they ask me to boot with these parameters:

systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg

For me, that is such a nuisance that I created a separate entry on menu.lst with those parameters. It is a nuisance typing that at boot because my keyboard is not US, so that '=' and '_' change location and I have to find them by trial an error.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)