Re: Re: Re: [opensuse] A request to Attachmate/Novell
On Wednesday, December 14, 2011 04:48:22 AM Linux Tyro wrote:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Roger Luedecke

<roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Even better idea, how about we make a list where people come mow my
lawn
for free? I'm a lawn newbie and I don't have time to do it myself.
Other
people who know a lot about lawns and own lawnmowers should share
their
lawnmowers and their saturdays with lawn newbies.

Look, we frankly aren't based on the idea of noob-friendliness. Frankly
though, with YaST and a strong stance on security we actually wind up
being more friendly than most. And a mailing list isn't a matter of
wealth, and even if it was Canonical isn't doing better than the
companies under Attachmate. From most estimates I'm aware of, Canonical
isn't even profitable.
Thats okay and I have liked suse much but at least you can have the
docs like that of Ubuntu? See
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/basic-commands/C/ where all things are
explained from such a basic level that even persons from other field
can read so nicely and learn something which people often
misunderstand to be geeky. Well, in fact and in realities, while I
have liked Suse more than Ubuntu (because of more clean and better
architecture) but you can have such documentations which would be an
added advantage, especially for us.

Thanks.
essentially an independent entity, and have very little practical connection
with SuSE. Our primary connection is that many of the Novell and SuSE
developers donate their free time to helping openSUSE with the building of the
software and with fixes. But we are a primarilly volunteer organization,
unlike Ubuntu or even Fedora. Essentially SuSE sits back and watches what we
do and will gradually absorb our tech into their own Enterprise Linux, at
which point we will then reap the benefit of fixes and improvements to that
which they pick up.

If anything stated here needs correction or elaboration, please feel free. I
am also still learning all the intricacies.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador