Re: [opensuse] Systemd and fstab
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:59:19 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 20:11 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On 15/12/11 15:50, Lars Müller wrote:

Therefore I hope sysvinit will get dropped as soon as possible.

I have the same desire, having two init systems in supported state
is madness, the number of use cases, scenarios and bugs make that
unsustainable in the short term.

I completely agree, but I also recognise that as the everyday
situation for any professional sysadmin venturing on to 12.1 now.

I think for 12.1 having the two systems is a good idea.

I think for 12.1 remaining on 11.4 for production is a much better
idea :-)

In addition, having only the new system means either you cannot
install software that uses the old system, or you have to modify all
those packages as well. Just because the distros have changed things
does not mean all packages have also made the transition.

systemd was promised to be 100% backwards compatible, so that should not
be a problem. OTOH, I have just tried installing an init-script on a
new 12.1 system:

"# insserv firewall
insserv: Service network is missed in the runlevels 2 to use service xxx

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.6°C)