Re: [opensuse] Systemd and fstab
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:52:53 +0100
On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 20:11 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On 15/12/11 15:50, Lars Müller wrote:

Therefore I hope sysvinit will get dropped as soon as possible.

I have the same desire, having two init systems in supported state is
madness, the number of use cases, scenarios and bugs make that
unsustainable in the short term.

I completely agree, but I also recognise that as the everyday situation
for any professional sysadmin venturing on to 12.1 now.

I think for 12.1 having the two systems is a good idea. People can
properly test their new scripts. At least this is what I will be doing.
When I know they work in the new system, I will remove the old ones from
our code.

In addition, having only the new system means either you cannot install
software that uses the old system, or you have to modify all those
packages as well. Just because the distros have changed things does not
mean all packages have also made the transition.

I guess the down side is that a hell of a lot of work went in to
allowing both to work, with the full knowledge that the work is intended
to be used for a limited time.

--

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer