[opensuse] btrfs not booting
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:35:43 +0100
So it seems that my adventures with btrfs have failed rather
spectacularly. I did a clean restart this evening (no power outage, no
hard reset, just a normal power off, and then later a normal power
up), and on startup, btrfs fails to mount and I see what looks like a
kernel panic.

I've uploaded a photo of the boot screen here:
http://oi39.tinypic.com/32zt6ci.jpg since I can't find a way to get in
further to grab a log file.

I've found this bit of info here:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/articles/f/a/q/FAQ_1fe9.html#Is_btrfs_stable.3F
" the vast majority of the problems with broken and unmountable
filesystems... have been fixable by use of the btrfs-zero-log tool."
but... is what I'm seeing a log problem? The error messages related
to the log issue don't look like what I'm seeing, so I'm thinking it's
something else...

Anyone have any tips what I can do to maybe rescue the system? Yes I
know, no fsck for btrfs etc etc.... and I can live with that. I'd
prefer not to reformat and start over, but I can if I need to (I've
got a reasonably recent backup of critical data).

C.