Re: [opensuse] fstab/partition Problem
Stephen P. Molnar said the following on 12/14/2011 11:01 AM:
I have just installed 12.1 on my 64bit AMD CPU Linux computer. The
machine has been in service for quite some time and has had previous
openSUSE distributions starting with 10.x. Consequently there are numb
of partitions that show up in the Yast/Partitioner/Available Storage (a
screen shot is attached) that are not in /etc/fstab. This is very
bothersome as I have information and programs that I can't access.

Through trial and error, a very dangerous thing for me to do as I am
neither a hardware nor an OS person - only a user, I have written a
script to mount the partitions. Running the script as su in my user
persona I can mount the partitions.

If I reopen Yast/Partitioner after running the script the mount points
are there.

My question is what do I do at this point that isn't going to corrupt
the system? Up to this point I have been aborting the Partitioner.

It will corrupt things if you tell it to.

Do you recall what you did in the progression of upgrades from 10.x to
the present?

I do.
The installer recognised existing partitions and file system.
You tell it what you think they should be called and where you think the
should be mounted and NOT TO REFORMAT THEM and it will build a new fstab
according to WHAT YOU TELL IT.

That is why I have a separate /home and few other partitions that hold
things like development work, the source and data for my wikis and other
services that run under Apache (/srv) and things like that.

There are also things like /local and /opt and some parts of /usr/share
where I've installed global stuff like icon sets.

You might also want to preserve wherever your (incoming) mailboxes are
if, like me, you use the INBOX as a LBW.

So if you have NOT factored those out to separate partitions then
telling the installer to reformat "/" is going to ZAP a lot, and not
telling it to reformat "/' might have untoward consequences.

Now do you people understand why I use LVM and have lots and lots of
partitions?

Its not just resiliency about backups, its resiliency in the face of
upgrades.

And yes it was my own stupid fault when stuff I valued got zapped
because I was not doing this.

I learnt from unfortunate experience.

Why don't you learn from my experience?
We cause accidents. -- Nathaniel Borenstein