Re: [opensuse] Re: Is openSUSE a rolling release?
  • From: LinuxIsOne <reallife@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 01:43:47 -0500
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Brian K. White <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Certainly it is recommended. And no it is not recommended.
There are pros and cons to both.

For some jobs a small two-seat convertible sports car is recommended and a
large 4 wheel drive truck is not recommended.

For other jobs a large 4 wheel drive truck is recommended and a small
two-seat convertible sports car is not recommended.

A rolling release distro is recommended if you want the things a rolling
release distro provides and don't need the things a standard distro provides.

A standard distro is recommended if you want the things a standard distro
provides and don't need the things a rolling release distro provides.

We can't tell you what's better for you any more than we can say what type of
vehicle you should buy, if any.

I can say that if you want a rolling distro then you probably want Arch Linux
instead of Tumbleweed because Arch actually is a rolling release and has been
for a long time, while Tumbleweed is a half-baked quicky hack made mostly by
one guy in a fraction of his spare time that attempts to take a thoroughly
standard distro and update the packages as if it were a rolling distro. It's
very young, very unsupported, very incomplete and inconsistent.

If you want a standard distro, then opensuse is an ok one.

If you want to be better supported by commercial software and hardware
vendors, then they all target standard distros. It's possible to define all
the details of a standard distro, and those details only change all at once
and infrequently, and so it's possible for a 3rd party to write software and
hardware drivers that actually work for a given version of that distro.

If you want to be better able to support a large number of machines of your
own, keeping them all the same as each other and all reasonably up to date
all the time without any traditional large risky whole-os upgrades and are ok
with a continuous stream of smaller less risky individual package updates,
then a rolling distro does that.

Those are a few of the pros & cons but I can't actually tell you which type
of distro will fit your life better.
Whatever you use first, probably you will think the grass is greener on the
other side and end up trying both sooner or later.

Oh yes, I get the idea, ty Brain. In fact, I am okay with the
non-rolling suse of 12.1...It is better as I read all these posts. In
fact, there is no such absolute requirement. But earlier I used to
think that having a rolling release is always good unlike the truth
that it all _depends_.