Re: [opensuse] Re: Is openSUSE a rolling release?
On 12/13/2011 3:14 AM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 12/12/2011 12:40 PM, LinuxIsOne wrote:
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Malcolm<malcolm_lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I read that Rolling Release means which is upto date. IS openSUSE a
rolling release?

No, but tumbleweed is, have a look here: http://en.opensuse.org/Tumbleweed

Oh I see, I just read that, does it neccessarily mean that Rolling
Releases are good to have?

No, it does not. It is good or bad contingent on *your* particular needs
and wants.

The question is quite similar to whether it is better to have a four door
automobile vs a two door automobile. Better is as *you* see it.

Oh I see. Okay then but I just thought if it was recommended or not,
but okay now.

Certainly it is recommended. And no it is not recommended.
There are pros and cons to both.

For some jobs a small two-seat convertible sports car is recommended and a
large 4 wheel drive truck is not recommended.

For other jobs a large 4 wheel drive truck is recommended and a small
two-seat convertible sports car is not recommended.

A rolling release distro is recommended if you want the things a rolling
release distro provides and don't need the things a standard distro
provides.

A standard distro is recommended if you want the things a standard distro
provides and don't need the things a rolling release distro provides.

We can't tell you what's better for you any more than we can say what type of
vehicle you should buy, if any.

I can say that if you want a rolling distro then you probably want Arch Linux
instead of Tumbleweed because Arch actually is a rolling
release and has been for a long time, while Tumbleweed is a half-baked quicky
hack made mostly by one guy in a fraction of his spare time
that attempts to take a thoroughly standard distro and update the packages as
if it were a rolling distro. It's very young, very
unsupported, very incomplete and inconsistent.

If you want a standard distro, then opensuse is an ok one.

If you want to be better supported by commercial software and hardware
vendors, then they all target standard distros. It's possible to
define all the details of a standard distro, and those details only change
all at once and infrequently, and so it's possible for a 3rd
party to write software and hardware drivers that actually work for a given
version of that distro.

If you want to be better able to support a large number of machines of your
own, keeping them all the same as each other and all reasonably
up to date all the time without any traditional large risky whole-os upgrades
and are ok with a continuous stream of smaller less risky
individual package updates, then a rolling distro does that.

Those are a few of the pros & cons but I can't actually tell you which type
of distro will fit your life better.
Whatever you use first, probably you will think the grass is greener on the
other side and end up trying both sooner or later.

Ok, people, that's quite enough.

You've all demonstrated just how clever you are at not answering the question.
Now go outside and play with your toys like good little boys and stop
thumping your chests.