Re: [opensuse] Re: Is openSUSE a rolling release?
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Brian K. White <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Certainly it is recommended. And no it is not recommended.
There are pros and cons to both.

For some jobs a small two-seat convertible sports car is recommended and a
large 4 wheel drive truck is not recommended.

For other jobs a large 4 wheel drive truck is recommended and a small
two-seat convertible sports car is not recommended.

A rolling release distro is recommended if you want the things a rolling
release distro provides and don't need the things a standard distro
provides.

A standard distro is recommended if you want the things a standard distro
provides and don't need the things a rolling release distro provides.

We can't tell you what's better for you any more than we can say what type
of vehicle you should buy, if any.

I can say that if you want a rolling distro then you probably want Arch
Linux instead of Tumbleweed because Arch actually is a rolling release and
has been for a long time, while Tumbleweed is a half-baked quicky hack made
mostly by one guy in a fraction of his spare time that attempts to take a
thoroughly standard distro and update the packages as if it were a rolling
distro. It's very young, very unsupported, very incomplete and inconsistent.

If you want a standard distro, then opensuse is an ok one.

If you want to be better supported by commercial software and hardware
vendors, then they all target standard distros. It's possible to define all
the details of a standard distro, and those details only change all at once
and infrequently, and so it's possible for a 3rd party to write software and
hardware drivers that actually work for a given version of that distro.

If you want to be better able to support a large number of machines of your
own, keeping them all the same as each other and all reasonably up to date
all the time without any traditional large risky whole-os upgrades and are
ok with a continuous stream of smaller less risky individual package
updates, then a rolling distro does that.

Those are a few of the pros & cons but I can't actually tell you which type
of distro will fit your life better.
Whatever you use first, probably you will think the grass is greener on the
other side and end up trying both sooner or later.

I am just okay with 12.1 openSUSE kde normal release, I asked thinking
that if opensuse 12.1 is there or not but since it is not much more
supported (tumbleweed) so it is okay to use.