Re: [opensuse] mouse pointer stuck on tiny
On 12/12/2011 06:36 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
I asked most of this on the KDE3 list, but I have the same problem in Gnome,
so
am asking with expansion here. Google hasn't found me anything less than 8
years
old. I also tried digging through ~/.kde/share/config/ trying to figure out
what
was causing his 11.3 mouse pointer to be big, but so far struck out on that
too.
Every setting I've spotted so far seems to point to default (e.g.
kdminputrc_mouse_cursorsize="" in startupconfig).

I'm trying to configure Bob S's system after installing 12.1. His vision has
gotten too bad to do initial installation himself any more. I've been looking
all over both KDE3 and Gnome for a way to get big mouse pointers, and am
having
no luck. KControl->Peripherals->Mouse is void of anything to do with sizes,
while in gnome-tweak-tool, nothing I choose has any effect. I've tried
alternate
themes, including *accessible*, but all seem stuck with the standard little
mouse pointer and hand that are smaller than a dried up lentil at high DPI. I
went through YaST2 software management looking for accessibility theme and
mouse
settings type packages available and missing, but no luck there either.
Something must be missing from the install, but what could it be? Do I have to
install NetworkManager to get the mouse to work right? Nearly everything seems
to require NetworkManager any more. :-p Any ideas?

Felix,

I'll take a look. I ran across this a while back and IIRC the settings are in
~/kde/share/config/(major config file for kde) can't recall the name, that's
what I'll have to look for. There are options that get added to the file after
initial config for sizes for all different desktop parts and I believe there is
a runtime option for cursor size.

Ahah!

22:31 alchemy:~/.kde/share/config> cat startupconfig
#! /bin/sh
# kcminputrc Mouse cursorTheme ''
kcminputrc_mouse_cursortheme="DMZ"
# kcminputrc Mouse cursorSize ''
kcminputrc_mouse_cursorsize=""
# kpersonalizerrc General FirstLogin true
kpersonalizerrc_general_firstlogin="False"
# ksplashrc KSplash Theme ksplashx-suse
ksplashrc_ksplash_theme="ksplashx-suse"
# kcmrandrrc Display ApplyOnStartup false
kcmrandrrc_display_applyonstartup="false"
# kcmrandrrc [Screen0]
# kcmrandrrc [Screen1]
# kcmrandrrc [Screen2]
# kcmrandrrc [Screen3]
# kcmfonts General forceFontDPI 0
kcmfonts_general_forcefontdpi="0"

Play with kcminputrc_mouse_cursorsize="" and restart kde3. You may have to
create larger glyphs with convert, but that should just be a wildcard change to
-resize 200% or so.

Let me know. If I have more time tomorrow, I'll give it another look, but I've
go depos on Wednesday so I'll be under the gun tomorrow...

Tell Bob we all knew if you did it too much you would go blind... ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.