Re: [opensuse] quick question re word wrap protocol
On Monday, December 12, 2011 02:06 PM Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Dennis Gallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx> [12-12-11 13:46]:
I agree. My email client and editor are both capable of
(email-intelligent) wordwrap at a configurable length but the wrapping
is a poor substitute from seeing *properly* formatted text.

It goes back to email being a *text* function not requiring a gui.

I know it goes back to the pre-gui days; I was there, too. With my
horse & buggy. :) Now, don't get me wrong, I love horses and will
happily accomodate what the gods here require (if I may mix my
metaphors).

The reason I ask, is that when I shifted to fixed 78 column, I started

getting replies (outside the lists) coming back formatted like this:
This
will help her get maximum benefit as soon as possible, and with a lot
less effort
because I've included most of what she will need/want to learn to get
started.

And that is a real PITA. Suggestion? (I use KMail, and AFAIK the wrap
configuration is applied to all messages, whatever it is.)

your client is reformatting the text to your chosen line length which now
includes the "quote indicator characters", "> " and "> > ".

Nope, my client didn't reformat that text - her's did. Depending upon the nbr
of ">" on the line, Kmail will move a word to the next line and so as
necessary to maintain the configured line length. It will not chop the message
as above. I tried a bunch of tests and I finally managed to force what she did
by creating a reply which inserted the ">" and moved the text accordingly as
it should, and then I shortened the length setting while the editor still had
the reply open, thus forcing the lines shorter. So her client is doing
something strange. But I've encountered this with other replies, too. It's
not consistent. That was the PITA I was referring to.

And btw, I don't know what you mean that "wrapping is a poor substitute
from seeing *properly" formatted text." Is that "from" a "for"? And
what is the "properly formatted" you are referring to?

referring to what you displayed above as a "real PITA" and I have
reformatted it below in my editor, joe. I used jed which has a mutt_mode
or mail_mode and automagically reformatted quoted text and was really nice
but switched to joe for some reason I cannot remember. Advancing age does
that to one :^). I may switch back just refresh my faulty memory.

Your reformatting is just like my client does, too. Here is mine, wrapping
properly lke yours:

user. This will help her get maximum benefit as soon as possible, and
with a lot less effort because I've included most of what she will
need/want to learn to get started.

This will help her get maximum benefit as soon as possible, and with a
lot less effort because I've included most of what she will need/want
to learn to get started.

Most of the format differences, colored text, pretty pictures, html, and
top/bottom/in-the-middle posting mess may be attributed to $ms and aol
which brought the mostly inconsiderate and impolite masses to the internet
and email. In the *day* you didn't want to be known as an "aoler" :^)

I know. I started with email before there was an public internet. Originally
all the hardware vendors with networking had their own proprietary email
software; ours (HP) worked in block-mode, too! Like DEC, all of our machines
could talk to one another. Of course, IBM was another story - IIRC 7 different
architectures at the time, most of them unable to talk to another.

OK folks, I'll just keep it at plain text 78.