Re: [opensuse] How to partitioning in unallocated disk space
Lars Müller said the following on 12/09/2011 11:06 AM:
On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:04:50AM -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
David C. Rankin said the following on 12/09/2011 12:03 AM:

If you don't know what all you are likely to do with the box in the future,
then
saving unpartitioned space for a future OS install or further expansion
makes sense.

And LVM is the most flexible way to do that.
In fact put your /home and /var and /tmp there to start with.

I'm looking forward to being able to put multiple "/" in LVM ...

You remember KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid. By this reason I try hard to
keep my root filesystem on a real device.

I do too, but that's more a limitation of grub than anything :-(
The great limitation of way partitions are handled is that there are
only the four real slots. Never mind that disk are now 2T when that
concept dates back to the time a 5M disk was considered big.

I'd like to be able to have a multi-boot system entirely in LVM.
Then I don't have to worry about issues like "ah, this is a basic
machine I'm trying out so I don't need a separate /var and /srv ...",
and when I do try things out I have the ability do "oops!' and make the
partition bigger or smaller.

And to put cream on top of this all use btrfs! Yes, use btrfs. And
once again btrfs is the fs you like to use.

I've nothing against BtrFS. I've used (am still using) BtrFS. I like
BtrFS, but that's not what I'm trying to address here.

I'm talking about a multi-boot system with multiple roots and multiple
other partitions that may or may not be shared in use between the
various systems.

--
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of
meeting schedules is forgotten.