Re: [opensuse] Failures with 12.1
On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 10:56:46AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
I run fetchmail on a seperate machine, a mail hub, so this isn't going
to be an issue for me until that gets upgraded.

But here are my thoughts.

Unlike my Fedora box, openSuse seems to want you to use Postix or ...
what is it, 'exim'?

Postfix since many, many, many years is the default MTA.

All the remaining stuff is either legacy (sendmail) or community driven
(exim).

As both exim and postfix offer a sendmail compatible commandline
interface who cares?

Check if postfix service is running:

sudo systemctl status postfix.service

Try cloning that, but make it dependent on Postfix - obviously:-)

I have postfix running, by following the instructions posted
earlier. It's fetchmail that I need to run, in order to get my mail
from my ISP's POP server.

The fetchmail package includes a fetchmail init script. What do you
need more?

Answer: "I neee to know what a init script is, how it is handled, and
how I activate this service at boot time."

a) /etc/init.d/fetchmail

b) hip:~ # service fetchmail start
/etc/fetchmailrc not existing

Opps, looks like I'm a loser and have to create a /etc/fetchmailrc file.
I expect you have one. Place it a copy of it at /etc/fetchmailrc and
try again.

c) Enable the fetchmail service to get started at boot time:

hip:~ # chkconfig -a fetchmail

Note: This output shows SysV services only and does not include native
systemd services. SysV configuration data might be overridden by native
systemd configuration.

fetchmail 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:off 5:on 6:off

This will fail if no smtp daemon (postfix, sendmail, exim) is enabled to
get started too.

BTW Have I said this is all well documented? Either in the openSUSE
wiki or in the documentation which is part of each release. I know only
suckers read documentation and manuals ...

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team