Re: [opensuse] How to partitioning in unallocated disk space
On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:04:50AM -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
David C. Rankin said the following on 12/09/2011 12:03 AM:

If you don't know what all you are likely to do with the box in the future,
then
saving unpartitioned space for a future OS install or further expansion
makes sense.

And LVM is the most flexible way to do that.
In fact put your /home and /var and /tmp there to start with.

I'm looking forward to being able to put multiple "/" in LVM ...

You remember KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid. By this reason I try hard to
keep my root filesystem on a real device.

Mounting it via UUID as it is the default since 12.1 - cool working
migration btw as soon as you start the YaST -> System -> Partitioner
module the first time! - makes booting a bit more reliable in the time
of hot plugging USB, SATA, and FireWire devices.

Ensure to keep /boot on a separate partition with some ext? fs. I use
ext4.

And to put cream on top of this all use btrfs! Yes, use btrfs. And
once again btrfs is the fs you like to use.

You might ask why the heaven should I play beta tester for the btrfs
developers?

a) It's no longer beta! Check yourself https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/

"Btrfs is under heavy development, but every effort is being made to
keep the filesystem stable and fast. As of 2.6.31, we only plan to make
forward compatible disk format changes, and many users have been
experimenting with Btrfs on their systems with good results."

I'm using it since several weeks and it's stable. Well, I'm getting
slowly older and therefore no longer use DIY hardware. All I did with
my current main workstation is to plug two additional disks to play a
bit more with the nice features of - you'll not guess it - btrfs. Also
I've added a bit more memory.

b) snapper! wtf is snapper?

Start YaST -> Miscellaneous -> Snapper

@Arvin: Why is this not part of YaST -> Cool Stuff? Honestly why isn't
it part of YaST -> System?

Snapper is the hot feature of openSUSE 12.1 and even SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 11 SP 2. See Greg and Matthias demo show at
Brainshare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7e6BcI5Fo#t=170

That's a real big gig. Honestly it a long time back that I had been
impressed like this.

c) We'll make us of this with Samba

And to put more cream on top of it we're working on offering access to
the btrfs snapshots via Samba to Microsoft Windows users. All a user of
a Samba share has to do at the end is a right cklick on the folder in a
Microsoft Explorer window and from the properties window you'll have
access to the btrfs snapshots like you're able to access native
Microsoft Shadow Copy snapshots. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy if you havn't used this before.

Lars
--