Re: [opensuse] Telephone tethering, Dynamic DNS and general fun
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 08:48:12 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 17:16 +0100, C wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 16:32, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
I think the basic connection will be from a telephone that supports
tethering. We expect that to be supplied by the local user. It
would be connected to the USB port of the openSUSE computer.

I do something like this all the time while traveling. You don't
need to use USB cables... it's easier than that.

Not a laptop. They are rack mounted computers. They have USB so that
it perhaps easiest. Unless different phones are different. Then maybe
a USB wireless dongle that we supply would make things easier.

Without knowing your environment, that sounds to me like the option most
likely to succeed. When the operator plugs in the USB modem, have your
system auto-dial to a preset number and voila!

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.7°C)